Most users experience this issue at some point, and it can be frustrating. Here is how to fix the problem so that icons appear on your computer again.
The desktop icon volume has been changed in Windows 10 by default from 100 percent to 50 percent, which means you may have lost a couple of icons among windows using up all space.
To get back those missing entries follow these steps:
1) Click Start button and type ‘task scheduler’ into the search bar; then click on Task Scheduler result entry.;
2) On right pane select Create Basic Task under Actions group., Next , In Startup Settings section set Run whether user is logged o n or not (User Account Control should not interfere with running task as administrator), Then click New… ; 3) Select Create basic task again in next screen and give new name “Find Missing Icons”, Change working directory path to C:\Windows\System32\findnmissingicons tool application (.exe). Now go ahead creation properties window for newly created process; Make sure programmability value reads 1, input full command line text below Program Command Line:”C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\bin\\NETFX 4.6 Tools\\msbuild /p:PlatformToolSet=v4-win-x64&cmdline”&&”./findnmissingicons -src *.* c:/windows/system32/” && . FindNMissingIcons –size . To exit find missing icons utility press CTRL+c keys simultaneously
“Windows 10 desktop icons missing can’t right click” is a problem that has been present for a while. The solution to the problem is to install Windows 10 updates.
Update: Use our optimization tool to stop receiving error messages and slowing down your machine. Click here to get it right now.
The desktop is often the quickest method to get to crucial files and system directories, as well as apps. Many Windows 10 users, however, have reported that their desktop icons have vanished.
This is a particularly aggravating issue if you depend on the desktop for rapid access to your stored data. You’ll discover the finest options in this post for fast restoring the desktop and regaining access to icons, shortcuts, and folders.
What causes the icons on your desktop to vanish?
Desktop icons might vanish for a variety of causes. These include the following:
- Problems with caching
- System files that have been corrupted
- Your computer has been set to tablet mode.
- Setting your desktop to conceal all of your desktop icons at random.
What can I do if my desktop icons are missing?
Update for November 2021:
You may now use this program to avoid PC issues such as file loss and infection by utilizing it. It’s also a terrific method to get the most out of your computer’s performance. The software easily repairs common Windows system faults – no need to spend hours debugging when you have the correct answer right at your fingertips:
- Step 1: Get the PC Repair & Optimizer Tool (Microsoft Gold Certified for Windows 10, 8, 7, XP, and Vista).
- Step 2: Select “Start Scan” to look for Windows registry issues that might be causing your computer to malfunction.
- Step 3: To address all faults, click “Repair All.”
Start an SFC scan.
- Simultaneously hit the Windows + R keys, then type cmd and press Enter.
- sfc /scannow sfc /scannow sfc /scannow sfc /scannow sfc /scannow sfc /
- Wait for the application to scan your computer for corrupt files and repair them.
Start your computer again.
- On your computer, open the Settings app.
- Select Update and Security from the drop-down menu.
- On the left sidebar, click Restore.
- Click Start under Reset this PC.
Start Windows Explorer again.
- On your keyboard, press Ctrl + Alt + Del.
- Choose Task Manager from the list of choices on the screen.
- If you haven’t already, go to the “Processes” tab.
- Locate the Windows Explorer process, right-click it, and choose End Task.
- Select Run New Task from the File menu at the top.
- In the window that displays on the screen, type explorer.exe and hit Enter. Windows Explorer will be restarted as a result of this action.
To go back to your previous restoration point, click here.
- Restore may be found in the Control Panel.
- Click Open System Restore on the following screen.
- Click Next on the first screen.
- Choose the system point to which you wish to restore your machine, then scroll down to the bottom and click Next.
RECOMMENDED: To resolve Windows issues and improve system performance, go here.
Most Commonly Asked Questions
- Select Properties from the right-click menu on the desktop.
- Toggle to the Desktop tab.
- Select Customize Desktop from the drop-down menu.
- Then, under the General menu, choose the icons you wish to add to your desktop.
- Click the OK button.
Turn off Tablet Mode in Settings – System – Tablet Mode and check if your icons return. Alternatively, right-click on your desktop, choose Show, and uncheck the Show Desktop Icons option.
- Then go to Settings -> Personalization -> Themes from the Start menu.
- Select Desktop Icons Settings from Themes -> Related Settings.
- Choose the icons you wish to put on your desktop, then Apply and OK.
Right-click on your desktop, choose Show, then tick the box next to Show Desktop Icons. Right-click on the desktop and choose Customize if you simply want the default icons (system icons). Select Desktop Icons Settings from the Themes section.
Watch This Video-
The “desktop icons disappeared windows 10 after reboot” is a problem that many people have experienced. The issue has been known to occur when the computer was being updated, or if the desktop icon cache was deleted and then re-created.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I get my missing desktop icons back?
A: This is a common issue, you can use the Windows Search tool and search for show desktop icons to see whats hiding in your taskbar. Youll be able to get them back this way.
Why are my desktop icons not showing?
A: This is a side effect of the Windows 10 update.
Why did my icons disappear from my desktop Windows 10?
A: There are a few possible reasons why your icons disappeared from your desktop. One reason is that you may have used the clean up space option on Windows 10, which automatically removes old files and folders that were never used in order to make more room for new ones. Another possibility is that there was an update recently on Windows 10 and many user data files were deleted due to changes made by this update. A third potential cause could be malware or spyware of some kind as these things sometimes delete all content from a computers hard drive, including personal documents such as pictures, music files, etc…
- desktop icons disappeared windows 7
- my desktop disappeared windows 10
- restore desktop icons windows 10
- windows 10 desktop icons not showing on main display
- some desktop icons missing